JEANNE M. WALLACE, PhD, CNC is widely regarded as a prominent expert in nutritional oncology. She is the founder and director of Nutritional Solutions which provides consulting to cancer patients throughout the U.S. and abroad about evidence-based dietary, nutritional and botanical support to complement conventional cancer care. She's a magna cum laude graduate of Boston University, American State University, and Bauman College in Santa Cruz, CA, where she taught for a number of years.
Jeanne is an independent consultant to oncologists, naturopaths and other health care providers working with cancer patients, and has provided educational training to numerous integrative cancer centers. Her informative and inspiring presentations have been featured at dozens of cancer conferences across the U.S. With the recent explosion of studies being published in the field of nutritional oncology, she has dedicated her efforts to full-time translational research and protocol development at Nutritional Solutions. This allows us to remain at the forefront of the field.
Specializing in primary malignant brain tumors since 1997, Dr. Wallace and her team also have extensive experience working with clients with all cancer types, including breast, ovarian, endometrial, colorectal, pancreatic, squamous cell head-and-neck cancers, and malignant melanoma.
Dr. Wallace’s approach is grounded in the evolving understanding of the interrelationship between nutritional and metabolic factors and the hallmark characteristics of cancer cells. Cancer cells do not exist in isolation: they are influenced by the environment within the body. Our goal is to teach our clients dietary and lifestyle strategies to modulate this environment so that it is a less favorable host for tumor growth and progression. This approach is particularly well-suited as a complement to conventional medical treatments for cancer and allows our clients to optimize their care by integrating the best of both worlds.
A personal note from Jeanne…
"I've been deeply touched by cancer on a personal level many times throughout my life. I've lost dear friends and family members, been the caregiver to a partner with a GBM IV brain tumor, and nurtured many loved ones on the path of long-term survivorship. My life’s mission is to empower those facing cancer...because there are powerful anti-cancer tools at your farmer’s market, in your backyard garden plot, in your kitchen, and, hopefully, on your fork! The field of oncology is changing, and there is an emerging understanding of the healing power of real food. We now have the science that explains—at the metabolic, molecular, and genetic level—exactly how nutrition impacts cancer. My passion is presenting that research to you and giving you the tools to incorporate it into your daily life." —Jeanne
MICHELLE GERENCSER, MS, is a highly skilled cancer nutrition consultant with particular expertise in blood cancer nutrition and nutritional immunology. She has enjoyed working in the field of complementary cancer nutrition since 2002, consulting thousands of adult and pediatric clients all over the country and internationally. Michelle has worked closely with integrative and conventional doctors, including those at major cancer centers, to provide the most safe, comprehensive, personalized nutrition support to individuals undergoing standard treatment and clinical trials. Especially appreciated by clients and health professionals alike is her proficiency in assessing clinically relevant drug-supplement interactions.
Michelle received her Master of Science in holistic nutrition from Clayton College of Natural Health. With educational underpinnings in biochemical engineering, she is intensely analytical and brings a unique point of view to clinical nutrition. Michelle has done extensive secondary research and development of nutritional approaches for non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, complementing cancer treatments including stem cell transplant, and epigenetics of myelodysplastic syndrome and large granular lymphocytic leukemia.
Michelle’s technical prowess comes across softly through her compassionate and optimistic outlook. She regards each case as a complex system of variables and is adept at gently orienting each client to his or her particular system. Relating individual characteristics to voluminous cancer nutrition research and delicious foods, she empowers cancer patients to nutritionally leverage their body environment against the cancer process. Along with seeing the chemicals, genes and systems at play, Michelle values the privilege of witnessing the courage, wisdom, and tenderness in the eyes and voices of those who call on her.
A personal note from Michelle…
“I like to really get to know a person. I take them into my heart on a social and emotional level, and I also think of them on a biochemical level and a genetic level; I think about the conversation going on in their immune system, and I try to infuse all of that into our work together. Holistic nutrition really comes alive when you can overlay onto it the dynamics of cytokine interactions, genetic expression, and mechanisms of the disease process. Teaching people how to see their own body environment interplaying with the cancer process and the effects of treatment sets them up to take precise and powerful action with nutrition.” —Michelle
PRESENTATIONS & PUBLICATIONS
- Wallace J. A Different Kind of Resolution: Goodbye Nouns, Hello Verbs [Internet]. Nutritional Solutions News. Jan 3, 2018. Available from: https://cancer-nutrition.com/2018/01 /03/a-different-kind-of-resolution-goodbye-nouns-hello-verbs/
- Wallace J. A Fish Tale Debunked [Internet]. Nutritional Solutions News. Apr 3, 2019. Available from: https://cancer-nutrition.com/2019/04/03/fish-tale-debunked/
- Wallace J. A model for drug/nutrient synergies: Focus on cortisone drugs. International Journal of Integrative Medicine. 2000 Oct;2(5):33–40.
- Wallace J. Adjunctive nutrition and phytotherapy in primary malignant brain tumors. International Journal of Integrative Medicine. 1999 Apr;1(2):28–36.
- Wallace J. Adjunctive Nutritional Treatment for Brain Cancer: Best Case Series of Glioblastoma Multiforme. Comprehensive Cancer Care Conference 2001 [Sponsored by The National Cancer Institute (NCI), National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM), American Cancer Society, and Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation]; 2001 Oct 19; Washington, DC.
- Wallace J. Battling a brain tumor with integrative medicine. Total Health. 1999 Aug;21(3):22–3.
- Wallace J, Clark C. Battling a Brain Tumor: A Healing Story. Cancer as a Turning Point: from Surviving to Thriving Conference [Sponsored by Healing Journeys, The Stanford Healing Library and the Community Breast Health Project]; 2000 Sep 10; Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA.
- Wallace J. Becoming a partner in your cancer treatment: How diet and nutrition can help control cancer. Cancer as a Turning Point: From Surviving to Thriving conference; 2003 Jul; Seattle, WA.
- Wallace J. Can Nutrition Help Prevent Cancer? interview with Breast Health Project [Internet]. Oct 15, 2015. Available from https://breasthealthproject.com/can-nutrition-help-prevent-cancer-an-interview-with-jeanne-wallace
- Wallace J. Cancer, Ecology, Permaculture & Healing. Hawthorn University webinar series; 2016 Nov 16. Available from: https://hawthorn.edu/11-15-16-jeanne-wallace-webinar- recording/bit.ly/cancer-ecology
- Wallace J. Choosing Organic Isn’t Just about Avoiding Pesticides [Internet]. Nutritional Solutions News. Apr 13, 2018 [cited 2020 Jan 9]. Available from: https://cancer-nutrition.com/2018/04 /13/choosing-organic-isnt-just-about-avoiding-pesticides/
- Wallace J. Complementing Radiation and Chemotherapy with Appropriate Nutrition. Cancer & Complementary Medicine: Symposium 2000; 2000 May 28; Cabrillo College, Capitola, CA.
- Wallace J. Complementing Your Breast Cancer Treatment with Nutrition & Phytotherapy. Breast Cancer Awareness Day [Sponsored by the American Cancer Society] 2002 Mar 29, Salt Lake City, UT.
- Gerencser M, Munday P. Complete resolution of bone metastases with personalized nutritional bone health regimen as adjuvant to anti-estrogen therapy with anastrozole and leuprolide. Cancer Strategies Journal. 2013 Winter;1–4.
- Wallace J, Gerencser M, et al. Considering the mechanisms behind cancer cachexia- anorexia can inform wider nutritional interventions.” FORUM: What to Eat When You Can’t Eat. Glob Adv Health Med. 2014 Nov;3(6):51–6.
- Wallace J. Developing and Monitoring Comprehensive Integrative Nutrition & Botanical Protocols in Cancer Patients. Teleseminar presented at: Clinical Rounds: Designs for Health educational series; 2006 Apr 19.
- Wallace J, Lukaczer D. Dietary Strategies to Modulate Estrogen interview with Dan Lukaczer, ND, Institute for Functional Medicine [Internet]. 2010. Available from: www.cancersymposium.org/blog/cancer-vignette-2
- Wallace J. Does an untreated astrocytoma always progress to glioblastoma? - Quora [Internet]. 2016 [cited 2020 Jan 9]. Available from: https://www.quora.com/Does-an-untreated- astrocytoma-always-progress-to-glioblastoma
- Wallace J. Edible Landscaping for Über Nutrition. Food As Medicine (Center for Mind-Body Medicine); 2012 Jun 8; Bethesda, MD.
- Wallace J. Epigenetics in the Anti-Cancer Kitchen. 4-hr workshop presented at: Integrative Cancer Medicine: Clinical Applications of Cancer Strategies [Sponsored by Healthy Medicine Academy]; 2013 Apr 29; Scottsdale, AZ.
- Braun S, Wallace J, Katz R. Evidence-Based Nutrition Strategies in the Cancer-Fighting Kitchen [Podcast]. (The New School at Commonweal, Loomis, CA). https://tns.commonweal.org/podcasts/rebecca-katz-and-jeanne-wallace-phd/
- Wallace J. Expanding the Model of Cancer Treatment: How Diet and Nutrition Can Help Control Cancer. Cancer As A Turning Point; 2002 Sep 14; Hayward, CA. Available from: www.healingjourneys.org/pages/ nutrition2.html
- Wallace J. Expanding the model of cancer treatment: how diet and nutrition can help control cancer. Cancer as a Turning Point, From Surviving to Thriving; 2005 Jun 25; Furman University, Greenville, SC.
- Wallace J. Expanding the Model of Cancer Treatments: How Diet and Nutrition Can Help Control Ovarian Cancer. Ovarian Cancer National Alliance 6th Annual Conference; 2003 Sep 17; San Francisco, CA.
- Bland J. Functional Medicine Update (Oct 2010) Interview with Jeanne M. Wallace, PhD [Internet]. 2010 [cited 2020 Jan 9]. Available from: https://jeffreybland.com/knowledgebase /october-2010-issue-jeanne-wallace-phd-cnc/
- Wallace J. Gadolinium: Is your MRI contrast agent safe? [Internet]. Nutritional Solutions News. 2017 [cited 2020 Jan 9]. Available from: https://cancer-nutrition.com/2017/12 /29/gadolinium-mri-contrast-agent-is-it-safe/
- Wallace J. Garden Therapy for Cancer Survivors. Nutritional Solutions News. 2018 [cited 2020 Jan 9]. Available from: https://cancer-nutrition.com/2018/01/12/garden-therapy-for- cancer-survivors/
- Wallace J. Harnessing the Power of Nutrition: Integrative Diet & Nutrition to Complement Brain Tumor Care. Brains Matter, National Brain Tumor Conference; 2012 Sep 21; Seattle, WA.
- Wallace J. How can I make red meat more healthy? - Quora [Internet]. 2017 [cited 2020 Jan 9]. Available from: https://www.quora.com/How-can-I-make-red-meat-more-healthy
- Wallace J. How Diet and Nutrition Can Help Control Cancer. Cancer as a Turning Point: From Surviving to Thriving; 2003 Sep 8; Marin, CA. Available from: https://www.soundstrue.com/store/cancer-as-a-turning-point-volume-ii-5123.html
- Wallace J. How Diet and Nutrition Can Help Control Cancer: Focus on Nutritional Genomics. Cancer As A Turning Point conference; 2005 Jun 25; Greenville, SC.
- Wallace J. How to enjoy eight-plus servings of vegetables and fruits every day (Appendix A). In: The Whole-Food Guide for Breast Cancer Survivors: A Nutritional Approach to Preventing Recurrence by Edward Bauman and Helayne Waldman. New Harbinger Publications; 2012. p. 164–70.
- Wallace J. Individualizing Nutrition Protocols to Complement Cancer Care. Confronting Cancer as a Chronic Disease. The 17th International Symposium on Functional Medicine; 2010 May 20; Carlsbad, CA.
- Wallace J. Inflammation: An Essential Target in Cancer Therapy. WomenCare Newsletter [Soquel, CA]. 2003 Feb;2–3.
- Wallace J. Integrative Tumor Board (moderated by Donald Abrams, MD). Panel discussion presented at: 8th International Society of Integrative Oncology (SIO) Conference; 2011 Nov 10; Cleveland, OH.
- Wallace J. Integrative tumor board: Glioblastoma multiforme—Nutritional and botanical Approach. Integrative Cancer Therapies. 2004 Jun;3(2):152–63.
- Shapiro MR. Interview with Jeanne M. Wallace, PhD, CNC. In: Hope Never Dies: How 20 Late-Stage and Terminal Cancer Patients Beat the Odds. 2018. p. 185–220.
- Wallace J. Nutrition and Cancer. Healing Journeys Living with Cancer series. 2009 Jun 2; Sesnon House, Cabrillo College, Capitola CA. Available from: https://healingjourneys.org/nutrition-and-cancer/
- Wallace J. Maximize Your Cancer Therapy with Herbs & Nutrition. 1998 Jun 29; DeLaveaga Stroke Center, Santa Cruz, CA.
- Wallace J. Modulating Oncometabolic Milieu: Integrative Diet and Nutrition to Complement Cancer Care. Food As Medicine conference (Center for Mind-Body Medicine); 2011 Jun 9; Bethesda, MD.
- Wallace J. Modulating Oncometabolic Syndrome: Integrative Diet & Nutrition to Complement Cancer Care. Integrative Health Care Symposium; 2011 Mar 4; New York, NY.
- Wallace J. Modulating Oncometabolic Syndrome: Integrative Diet and Nutrition to Complement Cancer Care. Food As Medicine conference (Center for Mind-Body Medicine); 2012 Jun 8; Bethesda, MD.
- Wallace J. Modulating Oncometabolic Syndrome: Integrative Nutrition to Complement Cancer Care. Food As Medicine conference (Center for Mind-Body Medicine); 2013 Jun 6; Bethesda, MD.
- Wallace J. My husband has lung cancer and now can’t eat. Can he survive on just nutritional drinks? - Quora [Internet]. 2016 [cited 2020 Jan 9]. Available from: https://www.quora.com /What-is-the-perfect-food-against-cancer/answer/Jeanne-M-Wallace-PhD-CNC
- Wallace J. Nutrition & Herbs: Complementing Brain Cancer Care. Diagnosis: Brain Tumor, You Are Not Alone [Sponsored by the NJ Brain Tumor Foundation]; 2002 Mar 29; JFK Medical Hospital, Neuroscience Center, Edison, NJ.
- Wallace J. Nutrition and Cancer. Living with Cancer Series [Sponsored by the American Cancer Society, Healing Journeys, WomenCare, and Dominican Hospital]; 1999 Jun 2; Sesnon House, Cabrillo College, Capitola, CA.
- Wallace J. Nutrition strategies to complement cancer care. Cancer as a Turning Point: From Surviving to Thriving; 2010 Oct 9; San Mateo, CA.
- Wallace J. Nutritional and botanical modulation of the inflammatory cascade—eicosanoids, cyclooxygenases and lipoxygenases — as an adjunct in cancer therapy. Integrative Cancer Therapies. 2002 Mar;1(1):7–37.
- Wallace J. Nutritional and Herbal Strategies to Complement Conventional Brain Tumor Treatments. Diagnosis: Brain Tumor, You Are Not Alone [Sponsored by the New Jersey Brain Tumor Foundation]; 2005 Nov 11; JFK Medical Hospital, Neuroscience Center, Edison, NJ. Available from: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8203376527577997655
- Wallace J. Nutritional Strategies to Complement Cancer Care. Hawthorne University webinar series; 2010 Jan 18.
- Wallace J. Oncometabolic Syndrome: Modulating the Milieu that Fosters Tumor Growth & Progression. 4th Annual Evidence-Based Complementary & Alternative Cancer Therapies Conference [Sponsored by the Annie Appleseed Project]; 2011 Mar 3; West Palm Beach, FL.
- Wallace J. Radiation Therapies: Strategies to Improve Outcomes. Integrative Cancer Medicine: Clinical Applications of Cancer Strategies [Sponsored by Healthy Medicine Academy]; 2013 Apr 26; Scottsdale, AZ.
- Asenjo B, Wallace J. Recovery from a “terminal” Glioblastoma Multiforme (GBM IV brain tumor) diagnosis using a nutritional, holistic approach. Townsend Letter for Doctors and Patients. 2005 Mar; Available from: https://www.healingcancernaturally.com/tumor- glioblastoma-multiforme.html
- Wallace J. Research on Antioxidants & Cancer: What You Should Know. February 2014. https://www.slideshare.net/jeannewallace5205/fb-what-u-should-know-antioxca. Accessed January 18, 2020.
- Wallace J. Root Time: Self-Healing Lessons from the Garden [Internet]. Nutritional Solutions News. 2018 [cited 2020 Jan 9]. Available from: https://cancer-nutrition.com/2018/02/23/root- time/
- Wallace J. Safety Concerns for Gadolinium: MRI Contrast Agent. 2018. https://www.slideshare.net/jeannewallace5205/gadolinium-mri-contrast-agent. Accessed January 18, 2020.
- Wallace J. Selecting high-quality dietary supplements: Finding the products and companies you can trust. Hawthorn Health & Nutrition Institute; 1998 p. 1–10. (NC5: Micronutrients).
- Wallace J, Asenjo B. Surviving an “incurable” brain tumor. Townsend Letter for Doctors and Patients. 2005 Mar;259/260:112.
- Wallace J. Targeting Oncometabolic Syndrome: How to Individualize Diet and Nutrition Protocols to Improve the Efficacy of Integrative Cancer Care. Cancer Strategies: Improving Outcomes and Quality of Life; 2011 Mar 25; Scottsdale, AZ.
- Wallace J. The amazing power of a whole foods diet to help control cancer. Cancer as a Turning Point, From Surviving to Thriving; 2004 Sep 11; Sacramento, CA.
- Wallace J. The cancer survivor’s eating plan. WomenCare Newsletter [Soquel, CA]. 1999 Spring;2:6.
- Wallace J, Katz R. The Cancer-Fighting Kitchen: Evidence-based Nutrition Strategies. 1-day workshop presented at: Healing Journeys; 2011 Nov 4; The New School, Commonweal, Loomis, CA.
- Wallace J, Katz R. The Cancer-Fighting Kitchen: Evidence-based nutrition strategies. 1-day workshop presented at: The Cancer-Fighting Kitchen [Sponsored by the American Cancer Society, Bauman College, Whole Foods Market, Earthbound Farm]; 2012 May 5; Los Gatos, CA.
- Wallace J, Katz R. The Cancer-Fighting Kitchen: Evidence-based nutrition strategies. 1-day workshop presented at: The Cancer Fighting Kitchen; 2011 Sep 23; Seattle, WA.
- Wallace J. The Cancer-Fighting Kitchen: Nutrition Strategies to Complement Cancer Care. The Cancer-Fighting Kitchen; 2010 Nov 5; Napa Valley, CA.
- Wallace J. The Cancer-Fighting Kitchen: Nutritional Strategies to Complement Cancer Care. The Cancer-Fighting Kitchen [Sponsored by Healing Journeys, Dominican Hospital and WomenCare]; 2010 Mar 19; Santa Cruz, CA.
- Wallace J. The cancer-fighting kitchen: Nutritional strategies to complement your cancer care. The Cancer-Fighting Kitchen; 2010 Mar 19; Katz Cancer Resource Center, Dominican Hospital, Santa Cruz, CA.
- Wallace J. The environment within: Strengthening your body’s innate defenses when facing cancer. Healing Journeys teleseminar. 2007 Dec 5.
- Wallace J. The healing power of a wholesome diet for brain tumor patients. The Brain Tuor Society newsletter. 2005 Aug; www.tbts.org
- Wallace J. The healing power of an organic wholesome diet for cancer patients. 2007 Mar p. 1–3. (Diamond Organics newsletter).
- Wallace J. The Healing Power of Nutrition. 6th National Brain Tumor Foundation conference; 2000 Mar 31; Los Angeles, CA.
- Wallace J. The healing power of your fork: A brain tumor survivor’s eating plan. SEARCH The National Brain Tumor Foundation Newsletter. 1999 Jun;1:4.
- Wallace J. The healing power of your fork: A brain tumor survivor’s eating plan. National Brain Tumor Foundation FactSheet. 2003 Mar 25;1–2.
- Wallace J. The influence of food on cancer genes. WomenCare Newsletter [Soquel, CA]. 2004 Feb;1–2.
- Wallace J. What is the longest time anyone has survived with Glioblastoma? - Quora [Internet]. 2017 [cited 2020 Jan 9]. Available from: https://www.quora.com/What-is-the- longest-time-anyone-have-survived-with-Glioblastoma
- Wallace J. What is the perfect food against cancer? - Quora [Internet]. 2016 [cited 2020 Jan 9]. Available from: https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-perfect-food-against-cancer/answer /Jeanne-M-Wallace-PhD-CNC
- Wallace J. What would a keto diet with rice look like? - Quora [Internet]. 2017 [cited 2020 Jan 9]. Available from: https://www.quora.com/What-would-a-keto-diet-with-rice-look-like
- Wallace J. Where do I go from here? [Internet]. HOLISTIC PERSPECTIVE FOR DEALING WITH AN ILLNESS Sub-Category Diagnosis-Now What? 2003. Available from: https://ahha.org/selfhelp-articles/where-do-i-go-from-here/
- Wallace J. Which plant extract should I use for high-grade glioblastoma multiforme (cancer cell lines)? - Quora [Internet]. 2017 [cited 2020 Jan 9]. Available from: https://www.quora.com /Which-plant-extract-should-I-use-for-high-grade-glioblastoma-multiforme-cancer-cell-lines
PUBLICATIONS THAT MENTION US
Bauman E, Waldman H. The Whole-Food Guide for Breast Cancer Survivors: A Nutritional Approach to Preventing Recurrence. New Harbinger Publications; 2012.
Broyles CL. Life’s Mountains: What a Brain Tumor Survivor Learned Climbing a Mountain and Battling ‘Terminal’ Cancer. CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform; 2012.
Katz R, Edelson M. The Cancer-Fighting Kitchen: Nourishing, Big-Flavor Recipes for Cancer Treatment and Recovery. Potter/TenSpeed/Harmony; 2010.
Katz R, Edelson M. The Longevity Kitchen: Satisfying, Big-Flavor Recipes Featuring the Top 16 Age-Busting Power Foods [120 Recipes for Vitality and Optimal Health][A Cookbook]. Potter/Ten Speed/Harmony/Rodale; 2013.
Katz R, Edelson M. The Healthy Mind Cookbook: Big-Flavor Recipes to Enhance Brain Function, Mood, Memory, and Mental Clarity. Ten Speed Press; 2015.
Loeser A. The Insider’s Guide to Metastatic Breast Cancer: A Summary of the Disease and its Treatments. Independently published; 2019. Available on amazon.
Roach J. Vital Strategies In Cancer. Independently published; 2019. Available on Amazon.
Ross P. Serendipity: An Uplifting and Practical Guide for Anyone Battling a Brain Tumor. iUniverse; 2006.
Servan-Schreiber D. Anticancer: A New Way of Life. Penguin Adult; 2008. We are credited in the preface.
Shapiro MR. Hope Never Dies: How 20 Late-Stage and Terminal Cancer Patients Beat the Odds. Scottsdale, AZ: Innovative Healing Press, LLC; 2018.
Spayde J. Functional Medicine Change Makers - Meet 8 visionaries who are shifting the way we think about health, nutrition, and fitness. Experience Life. 2017 Dec Available from: https://experiencelife.com/article/change-makers
The Cancer Group Institute. Complementary and Natural Muscle & Fat Cancer Treatments - It’s Your Life, Live It! Cancer Group Institute; 2011.
The Cancer Group Institute. Complementary, Alternative and Natural Treatments for Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer - It’s Your Life, Live It! Cancer Group Institute; 2011.
Walter PC. Managing Cancer: Managing to Stay Alive. Palkon Publishing Services; 2004.
Winters N, Kelley JH. The Metabolic Approach to Cancer: Integrating Deep Nutrition, the Ketogenic Diet, and Nontoxic Bio-Individualized Therapies. Chelsea Green Publishing; 2017. We are listed in the practitioner referral section.